Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wretched Hives of Scum and Villainy Completed


Based on suggestions from my friends Adrian and Dean, I redid my sci-fi pre-fab buildings using textured paint.  The buildings in the above image were painted with ColorTex's "Quarry," for a gray, city-like environment.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, these structures were made from two models of Sterilite trays:

#1605 (6 1/4" x 5" x 2 1/8"
#1606 (9 5/8" x 6 1/4" x  2 1/8")

I wanted to diversify the color-scheme a bit, so for a desert or frontier environment, I chose two colors.  The first was "Desert Bisque" by Rustoleum:


And the second frontier color was "Santa Fe Sand" by Volspar:


For all the buildings, I used black construction paper for the windows.  I chose black for versatility, so the windows can be considered darkened, tinted or completely blown-out.

I downloaded images of blast doors from a gaming/miniature website.  At this time I'm afraid I can't remember, or find, what that site is.  When I do, I'll be sure to post it to give the creator(s) proper credit.

I may add some more details to these buildings, like access hatches to the roofs, or antenna arrays, etc.  But these are wargaming "chrome" and I can use these buildings now as they are.

4 comments:

MIK said...

The difference between Desert Bisque and Sante Fe is pretty subtle, but I think the Bisque takes the cake. The Quarry isn't bad, but I like the other two better.

Thanks for posting these, they look great, and even better, they look 'doable' by a terrain rookie like myself.

Andy said...

Looks good! I have a few of these sitting around waiting for me to give them the treatment, glad to see some tips.

DeanM said...

I must say they look great - looks like resin models; definitely wouldn't know they were plastic bins :)! Dean

Ted Henkle said...

Thanks guys!
I think the sandy colors came out better too, but I'm glad I have a variety. None of them took that long to paint since there were no fine details. This was also my first time using textured paint. Thanks to Dean & Adrian's suggestions the buildings certainly look better than my initial attempt.

Ted