Monday, August 3, 2009

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

My wife and I went to see this movie yesterday. While she's read the books, the only things I know about the world of Harry Potter is through the movies. So I rely on her to fill in the story gaps.

For the most part, I thought the movie was well made and well acted. The budding teenage actors Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson have firm grasp of their respective roles as Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger.

Despite the growing power of Voldemort, the teenage heroes find time to fall in love--except not with the people they're truly in love with. Hermione & Ron have budding feelings for each other, as does Harry & Ginny Weasley. However, Ron ends up dating Lavender Brown while Ginny's seeing--ah, [insert name of minor character here]--and Hermione gets together--um, [insert name of another minor character here]--simply to make Ron jealous.

(Since I haven't read a single JK Rowlings story, I can't compare this movie to the book, let alone keep track of all the minor characters).

Apparently having magical powers doesn't immunize teenagers from their hormones infecting their emotions and actions.

It's always painful for me to watch/read such romantic mismatches in stories. Maybe because I remember my own teen awkward shyness and that makes me sensitive to such hormonally charged who's-doing-what-with-whom melodrama.

Autobiographical notes aside, I did like the movie but didn't particularly care for the Empire Strikes Back-style ending. Despite the empty cliff hanger I'm looking forward to the next two movies which will be based on the final book Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

This movie's worth going to and I rate it a solid 3-stars.

Wikipedia offers an extensive--and possibly dubious--plot summary of the book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Half-Blood_Prince

No comments: