Monday, July 11, 2011

The Quest for King Arthur

(Image:  Poster for the 2004 movie)

Like many wargamers, I was first exposed to King Arthur from various childrens books and old movies, as well as select readings from Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur in high school.  For the most part, my interest in Camelot and all that often lay dormant.  But every now and then, it would spring to life in a big way.

Several years ago, I read the Warlord Trilogy, Bernard Cornwell's novels on the historical King Arthur.  Or at least as historical as one could get on such an enigmatic figure.  His spin on the Knights of the Round Table blew me away and I haven't been able to recommend these books highly enough since I read them:


Last week, my interest returned when I stumbled across the Dark Age Wargaming blog.   While very little is known about "the once and future king." This, however, didn't stop "Historian on the Edge," from writing a series of wargame articles on Arthurian Britain.  These ten pieces were originally published in Wargames Illustrated magazine:

http://darkagewargaming.wordpress.com/category/age-of-arthur/

And despite the anachronistic armor, who can forget this stirring scene from Excalibur (1981)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db40S82sqic&feature=related

Talk about music to wargame by...

No comments: