Monday, June 30, 2014

The Opening Shot of the Great War Centennial


I wanted to post this on Saturday, 28 June, but I wasn't feeling well and ended up staying off line.

Three days ago marked the 100th anniversary of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie.

Even commemorating the event is still a divisive topic. 

I've noticed an increase interest in The First World War among wargamers over the years.  Games like:  Wings of Glory and the Great War at Sea have become popular, along with classics like Richthofen's War and Jutland, which can still be found second hand and played.

One friend has committed himself to reading The Great War

Fourteen years ago, while I was still on active duty, I had the pleasure of being stationed in Sarajevo for three months.  One day, I managed to drive by Latin Bridge.  Unfortunately, due to my work schedule and the movement restrictions that were in-place, I never got a chance to du a proper historical site walkabout.

At least I was in the vicinity, and I have a vivid memory of the bridge and surrounding neighborhood, which I can recognize in a stock photo such as this:

 
 

No comments: