Sunday, February 23, 2014

Book Review: The Reavers, by George MacDonald Fraser


Another silly, zany book by George MacDonald Fraser.  Cut from the same cloth as The Pyrates, this is a story of madcap mayhem along the English-Scottish border in the 16th Century:  The hero teams up with a haughty noble lass, her sultry lady-in-waiting and a notorious highwayman in attempt to thwart a dastardly plot by Spanish agents to usurp the Scottish throne.  

Like The Pyrates, the action and humor were a joy to read, but the author over did it with anachronisms.  So I'm giving this one the same 3-star rating I gave his previous historical farce.  

Despite my mediocre review, I intend to keep this book as a memento.  I bought it last summer when my wife and I attended our first Annual Pacific Northwest Scottish Highland Games and Clan Gathering.  So it actually means a lot to me. 

But you don't have to wait for the next Gathering of the Clans to buy The Reavers.  It's available on Amazon.com in a variety of formats and a wide price range, from $0.01 to $91.95 (plus $3.99 for shipping and handling).  

Of the 20 other reviews listed on Amazon, 15 customers gave the book a 4 or 5-star rating.  Just about every reviewer read the Flashman series and are quick to point out--whether they loved it or hated it--this book in no way shape, or form resembles Flashman.  

No comments: