Sunday, May 18, 2014

Movie Review--Godzilla, King of the Monsters



Based on today's entertainment news, the new Godzilla movie stomped on all competitors.  My wife and I though, were too busy and too tired to go and see it.  Instead, we plugged-in my DVD of the made-for-American-audiences original, Godzilla, King of the Monsters!

I have a copy of THE original Gojira, which neither of us have seen yet, but we didn't feel like "reading a movie."


I was a pre-teen when I first saw Godzilla on a late night monster movie show.  I've seen it a few times since, along with a slew of Kaiju films, but I haven't seen the 1956 film in a few decades at least.

While it's hard to knock a classic, it's obvious the scenes with Steve Martin (Raymond Burr not the famous comedian) were spliced into the movie.  


The main characters have their backs turned to the audience, or their faces are obscured when they're supposedly interacting with Steve Martin.    

As to the special effects, well, Godzilla would be the first of many Toho Pictures featuring a man in a rubber suit.

Which is still better than a several SyFy Channel movies.

Godzilla, King of the Monsters garners 6.7 out of 10 stars on IMDb.

A definite oldy-but-a-goodie.

No comments: