Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Book Review--The Will Eisner Reader


Here's another quick-read graphic novel classic:  The Will Eisner Reader.

I love Will Eisner's artwork and story telling skills.  In a medium dominated by superheroes, Will Eisner creates slice-of-life masterpieces that resonate with readers.  Characters are drawn in a realistic manner, while the story arcs place ordinary people contending with ordinary circumstances, even extraordinary ones, the many people can relate to.

My only issue with the book is that nearly all of these stories can also be found in one of the author's Instructional Series books or another: Comics and Sequential ArtGraphic Storytelling, and Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative.

Had I known these were stories I already read, even in part, I probably wouldn't have bought this book.  On the other hand though, I don't regret buying it; nor do I consider re-reading these stories a waste of my time.

So I'm happy to give Will Eisner Reader a 4-star rating.

The book can be found on the Will Eisner website and on Amazon.com.

Only three people have written reviews, giving it an average of 3.7 out of 5 stars:  1 x 5-star, 1 x 4-star and 1 x 2-star.

The 2-star rater complaint wasn't on the content, but on the pricing system compared to similar works, but with more pages.

No comments: