Thursday, November 15, 2012

Redshift Tales #1

 
A few months ago, the folks at Comic Life put out a Version 2. I bought two copies right away and downloaded them to my PC and laptop. The new version has some cool templates and features, but there is a noticeable learning curve after being so use to the initial version.

I finally found some time to do some serious playing around writing the other day. As an opening test, I wrote this vignette, Tales from The Redshift Chronicles: Carnage in Cortona Park. (You can also click on Redshift Tales #1 under the Studio Pages tab).

This was based on an actual gaming incident this past summer. During a session of my Star Wars Role Playing Game (SWRPG), the good guys were chasing a high-powered bad guy through a city park. One of the players tried to shoot said bad guy, but rolled a "1" on a 20-sided die (d20). In the d20 game system this is considered a fumble, which can have disastrous, or hilarious consequences, depending on which side you're on.

Fortunately for our hero, the result "only" turned out to be a burned-out powerpack in his weapon. However, despite being safe from immediate harm, this single malfunction jeopardized the entire team.

I took some liberties with the dialogue, primarily for the sake of space, but I like to think I captured the spirit of the banter that ensued.

I'm not sure if I'll use this new Comic Life version for Breakout from Bongolaan and other full-length graphic novels I plan on writing. For now, I'll toy around with the program and post vignettes, especially comedic ones, when my muse inspires me.

No comments: