Thursday, July 11, 2024

Pass in Review: Battle Systems’ Get To The Shuttle!

(Image from: Beasts of War)

 I’m a sucker for cardboard/paper terrain.  I love the idea of assembling a model, and not having to worry about painting it afterwards.

Before my surgery, a bought a few kits from Battle Systems UK:  

The Outlands Core Set, and

The Shanty Town Core Set.

All the Battle System sets are geared for their Core Space Series. However, I think their products can be used in other sci-fi and fantasy game systems, as well.

Recently, I came across this kit:

(Image from; Battle Systems—Get to the Shuttle!)

The Outland and Shanty Town kits are quite large and detailed, so I thought assembling this shuttle would be an easy introduction.

I was wrong. 

I’m certain the difficulty I had assembling the shuttle was due to my lack of skill. 

When I was a teenager, I gave up building scale models, when I started boardgaming. Even though I soon started acquiring miniature figure collections, these required less time and skill for me to assemble and paint. (I started off with micro armor). 

Fast forward to this project:  

I found the tabs and slots difficult to join together and required a substantial amount of trimming and cutting. I had to use a considerable amount of glue to bind pieces together. The windows and hatches were designed to be temporarily removed, so gaming action can take place inside the shuttle. However, I found these items fell out too easily and wouldn’t stay put.

By the time I attempted to add the cockpit details I became too frustrated and gave up on adding any interior details. 

So I simply replaced all the windows and hatches that popped out, glued them in place and sealed up the shuttle.

I’m sure my difficulties were due to “user error.”

Anyway, this is how my “Choppa” turned out:


I’m calling the shuttle a Choppa because of the fan blades in each wing, and because the name of the kit is derived from: This scene from the movie Predator.

(Image from the movie: Predator)


Since I’m not that adept at assembling cardboard/paper models, I often have bare paper/cardboard showing. To remedy this, I’ll paint the exposed areas an appropriate color, or touch it up with a marker pen. I find the marker is easier to apply, but it gives the exposed areas a glossy look. 

For my Choppa, I used Army Painter’s Fur Brown to paint the bare cardboard edges. 



Even with the difficulties I had assembling the Choppa, it only took a few days of work to complete, to allow the glue to dry. 

Despite my frustrations, I'm content with the way my Choppa turned out. It’s at least a Table Top Quality vehicle to use in sci-fi skirmish, and RPG games. 

No comments: