Friday, October 11, 2013

Program Review: HISHE and Honest Trailers, plus Movie Review of Star Trek--Into Darkness (sort of)




Have you watched a movie lately and despite the extravagant special effects, feel underwhelmed when it's over?  Not to mention giving the film two thumbs down or a bushel of rotten tomatoes.

I felt the same way about Star Trek: Into Darkness, which I saw on DVD a couple weeks ago.  While I liked it--for the most part--but I had a lot of nagging questions about the film.  It wasn't until a few days later, when I had a chance to discuss Into Darkness with a coworker, that I had all the answers I needed for a definitive movie review.

But before I could get motivated to write the review I stumbled across Screen Junkies and their series of Honest Trailers.  My first introduction to their work was--as if on cue--Star Trek Into Darkness.

These guys (gals too?) are comedic geniuses at spotting plot holes and informing the viewer is really getting for his money, or pirated download. 

This particular trailer was done in collaboration with another band of creative comedians at How It Should Have Ended (HISHE)


Their latest film, maybe not-so coincidentally is How Star Trek Into Darkness Should Have Ended, which was done in collaboration with Screen Junkies

I've watched several HISHE movies now.  Each clip provides a short laugh-break raning from less than two minutes to over five.  I wouldn't say their endings are always "better," especially since things often don't end well for our heroes and heroines.  But they are funny, ranging from mild to hilarious. 

The only drawback is you have to have seen the original movies first, in order to understand the humor.  There are several of HISHE/Honest Trailer shows I haven't seen yet because I haven't watched the original films and I don't know if I'll ever get around to doing so. 



I mean, the idea of sitting through the entire Twilight Saga doesn't appeal to me at all. 

Thanks to HISHE and Screen Junkies, I may not do another movie review again and just provide links to their latest releases.

But then again, I need to practice my writing.

While I continue to practice my craft, you can subscribe to both sites on YouTube.

And while we're on the subject of the latest Star Trek reboots (well kind of), here's an Honest Trailer for the rebooted original Star Trek and how said reboot should have ended

Laugh long and prosper.

No comments: