Monday, May 27, 2024

Pass in Review: Miracles and Pitfalls

 




Several years ago, I bought my wife a couple of Biblical games.

One such games is, Miracles and Pitfalls.
The rules are simple: Draw a card, and answer a question regarding verses in Scripture. Answer correctly, roll a six-sided die (1d6), and move your playing piece the indicated number of squares. Then the next player takes his turn in the same manner.
The rules recommend children can look up Scripture verses in order to answer the question.
The first player to reach the finish, wins.

Think of it as Biblical Trivia Pursuit, for 2-6 players. 



The game is made of good quality items.
However, I found the “Parcheesi” style playing pieces to be bland and boring.


So, I decided to make alternate playing pieces.

I downloaded and printed several cardboard figures from Junior General—Ancient series.
My wife bought a couple bags of Banquet Card Stands on Amazon.
I cut out the figures I wanted to use, folded and glued them, and inserted them on to individual stands.
I painted the bottom of the stands, and wrote the names of each character.

There are 11 characters from The Old Testament:


Each figure represents a specific Old Testament hero or heroine:



My wife and I came up with five New Testament characters:


And these are:



My newfangled playing pieces neither add or detract from the game.
I made these merely to improve players’ immersion into it.

(Image from the film poster: The Ten Commandments)



No comments: