Wednesday, November 3, 2010

PNWA 2010 Conference: Practical Guide to Punctuality


I've been attending PNWA's Summer Conference for a few years now, so I thought it was high time to help out.  Prior to the conference, I examined the list of workshops and submitted my name as a volunteer to moderate the seminars I planned on attending.  The Volunteer Coordinator, Anne Belen, assigned me to moderate the Practical Guide to Screenwriting, hosted by Colleen Patrick.

For me the word "practical" should have started with reading the moderator instructions.  I ASS-umed the workshop started at 9 AM and I planned my morning to be there at 8:45--plenty of time to set up the Emerald E Conference Room. 

Or so I thought.

When I sauntered in at 8:45, I found Ms Patrick already in the midst of giving her lecture and about two dozen attendees--and all of them were scribbling furiously.  Frantically going through the moderator packet, I discovered the seminar started at 8:30!

Oh crap!  (Which isn't exactly what I thought).

So I spent the next hour and 15 minutes hastily distributing handouts, directing attendees to vacant seats, monitoring the time and conducting general housekeeping duties.  This left me too frazzled to take any useful notes other than:  Read the instructions CARE-FUL-LY

Another item I found out after the seminar, was Colleen Patrick's contributions to the film industry.  She's a screenwriter, director, acting coach and writing coach, to list a few of her accomplishments.

For a more detailed look at Colleen Patrick's talents and accomplishments, check out her website at:


Hmm.  Maybe she can add "Punctuality Coach for Wayward Moderators" to her resume...

No comments: