Monday, March 1, 2010

Last-Minute Trip to the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver, BC


Two weeks ago, my wife and I decided to make a "run for the border" and see some of the Winter Olympic Games.  We left Friday morning (26 Feb) and arrived at our hotel before noon.  Check-in wasn't until 3 PM, so we made our way to downtown Vancouver to check out the Olympic sights and activities.  Above is the Olympic Rings in Burrard Inlet.


The Olympic Cauldron on the waterfront.  We had to wait in line to get a view from the observation deck.  The above picture, though, was taken at the street level, viewed through the chain-link fence.  This photo turned out better than the ones we waited over 30 minutes to get!



As an amature military historian and wargamer, I must have a 6th sense for finding militaristic things and places.  During our walking tour we stumbled across the Beatty Street Drill Hall, headquarters of the British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own).

In the picture above I'm standing next to a Canadian-built RAM tank.  I never heard of this tank until now.  Based on the American M3 (Lee), it was used primarily for crew training in the UK.  Wikipedia has some of the details on this Canadian armored vehicle:



Above is my new Facebook Profile Picture, standing next to a more familiar Sherman tank.

Standing next to an armored vehcile, while getting rained on, certainly reminds me of my active-duty days.

Duke of Connaught's Own website:





Meanwhile, "Canadian Olympic Fever" proved to be contagious.  Even pets weren't immune.

No comments: