Thursday, March 24, 2016

Product Review: Ars Victor


In addition to Risk Battlefield Rogue, which I posted about yesterday, I also picked up Ars Victor (Limited Edition) for $18, after using my 20% off coupon, at Half Price Books.

I was impressed by the hefty weight of the game, and the solid feel of the box.

But I held off buying this game until I was about to leave the store.  The artwork reminded me of Warhammer 40K but drawn by Rich Burlew, creator of Order of the Stick.

It's one thing to read webcomic in stick figure style, but can be another issue entirely to play a game with such cartoonish graphics.

Despite my reservations, the geomorphic maps, playing pieces and tokens are made of thick and sturdy cardboard.  The rules are written in large print, with plenty of illustrated examples; which is great for young players--or older ones with aging eyesight.

Other selling points about the game are that it can be played in about an hour, and can serve as a great introductory game for youngsters (without traumatizing them with the "...grim darkness of the far future...").

The images on the playing pieces resemble kid-friendly versions of the Eldar, the Imperial Guard (aka Astra Militarum) and mutants.

Ars Victor (Latin-ish for "Art of Victory/Winning") is highly rated on both Boardgame Geek and Amazon.com.

Play Unplugged has a thorough review as does Boardgame Geek, along with an entertaining tutorial on YouTube produced by the Ars Victor creators and a video review by Marcowargamer.



No comments: