Thursday, March 10, 2016

Book Review: The World of Jack Aubrey



If you're looking for a short reference book on the setting of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin Series, then The World of Jack Aubrey may fit the bill. 

I can't remember when, or where I bought this, probably at Half Price Books.

After receiving my latest shipment of Sails of Glory, I was in the mood for an Age-of-Sail book I could easily read while on a cardio machine at the gym.

The World of Jack Aubrey is nicely illustrated, contains some informative charts, and provides a nice overview of life in the British Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars.  Other navies and even pirates are given a paragraph's-length examination. 

If there's any shortcoming about this book it's--well-- it's short.  Weighing-in at 96 illustrated pages, it took me just over two hours to finish.  Some of the chapters end rather abruptly.  I noticed a couple of typos, while one of the 3-star raters on Amazon.com discovered even more.

The World of Jack Aubrey is a nice introductory, Age-of-Sail reference book that doesn't take up too much room on your book shelf, and is handy to have at your side while reading.

The book earned an average of 3.9 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com.  Even the readers who liked it, commented on the thin amount of material there is between the front and back covers.

While I liked The World of Jack Aubrey, and plan on keeping it, I'd have to go elsewhere for more in-depth material.  So I give it 3-stars.

No comments: