Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Movie Review: The Thin Man Series

(Image from:  True Classics blog)
My wife and I just finished watching four of the six Thin Man Movies on our TCM Greatest Classic Films DVD
 
I can't say enough about these delightful, comedy-mysteries. William Powell and Myrna Loy star as crime-solving couple Nick and Nora Charles--along with their dog Asta
 
I'd rate these two as the best on-screen couple ever.  Apparently Hollywood thought so too, because they were paired-off in 14 movies together.
 
Oh sure, the stories are a bit formulaic, with the killer being revealed in dinner party/parlor game style.  But the breezy, irreverent style of the movies' leading stars keeps the audience entertained.  And unless you've watched these films before, it's still hard to figure out whodunit.  (I've seen all but the last two twice now).
 
(Image from: Eleven-Nineteen blog)
 
So if you're looking for a batch of couples movie to binge-watch, you can't go wrong with The Thin Man and it's sequels (with plot synopses/spoilers):
 
 
 
 
The Thin Man Goes Home (I'm pretty sure I've seen this one before, but I'm not looking at the plot synopsis, just in case)
 
Song of the Thin Man (I know I haven't seen this one, so I'm definitely not peeking at the plot synopsis).
 
(Image by Mike Maihack)
 
My trolling of the internet extensive research also revealed that The Thin Man was based on a novel by Dashiell Hammett and a TV series.
 
 

2 comments:

Carl said...

I love both Powell and Loy. They were both phenomenal actors, and together they really were one of the greatest teams in movie history. The later Thin Man movies were not as good as the early ones, but they're still all pretty great. Powell and Loy did a number of other movies together too: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls057745982/

If you liked the Thin Man, see also Powell in "My Man Godfrey" with Carole Lombard.

For all her amazing comedy, I think Loy's triumph was "The Best Years of Our Lives" -- one of the great movies of all time.

Ted Henkle said...

Thanks for commenting Carl. I may have seen bits & pieces of "My Man Godfrey." Now, I'll be sure to look for it.
I loved "The Best Years of Our Lives," and I think Myrna Loy felt it was the best role she ever played.