Saturday, January 14, 2012

D&D "5e"--Playtesters Wanted

(Image from Wizards of the Coast website--go to actual site to sign up)

Several days ago, Wizards of the Coast (WotC) issued a call to arms for playtesters interested in participating in the next development of Dungeons & Dragons.  This past Monday, articles appeared simultaneously in the NYT, Forbes and on WotC's website.

Shelly Mazzanoble, author of Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Dungeons & Dragons, even hinted at having employed her "part time sorceress" skills to initiate this new edition. 

I currently own D&D 3.0, along with some 3.5.  I grabbed a set of 4th edition core rulebooks at a used book store just a few months after the new edition's release.  Not everyone was happy with the new rules.  The most common complaint is that the streamlined rules practically eradicated the role playing aspect of the game. 

I haven't played D&D 4.0 yet, so I can't render an opinion.  Hopefully, involving player feedback on such a massive scale, WotC will quell the "Edition Wars" as Dice Monkey calls the emotionally-charged and highly opinionated debates.

No comments: